The Department of Library and Information Centre came into
existence in 1945. It has a spacious and well-maintained library.
Information Resource Centre is the heart of the Sarada Vilas College and It
has huge collection of books, text books, magazine and newspapers. It is
the main hub of the students and teachers for their academic activities,
Apart from that, Library houses a growing collection of reference books,
journals, journal back volumes, dictionaries, encyclopedias, Yearbooks etc.
Also, the library facilitates access to a number of e-journals, e-books
DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY
The library is to support the institution by providing widest possible spectrum of
information resources such as Books, Periodicals, Reference Sources and so on in both
Print and Electronic format materials relevant to the curricular, personality and career
development, and innovative research needs of the academic community’, means to
provide Right Information to the Right Users at the Right Time and in the Right Format.
- To provide the faculty members and students with the information they need to
achieve their highest academic potential and help them acquire research skills
necessary for lifelong learning.
- To enhance the competency of the library resources and services to meet the
demands of the academic community with respect to the curricular, personality
and career development, and innovative research by providing regular funding to
yearly acquisition of library materials.
- To establish a computerized /automated library system for effectively managing
the library housekeeping activities by acquiring the Integrated Library
management system (ILMS) software.
- To develop E-library (Digital Information Resource Centre) for providing access to
tremendous electronic resources such as e-books, e-journals, e-online databases,
e-theses and so on though the library web e-resource portal.
- To establish Career Information Resource Centre (CIRC) for providing various
kinds of information resources relevant to personality development, Interview
Skills, General Knowledge, and books for competitive examination like IAS, KAS,
Banking, and guidance for higher education.
- To organize regularly programs like New Arrival Display and Book Exhibition for
providing information about library resources and services
- To create an atmosphere wherein students and faculty may carry on the learning
- To acquire, organize and update the library collection to support teaching-learning process
- To encourage students to read beyond the requirements of the curriculum
- To work with faculty in integrating information skills, knowledge of information sources
- Use of technology in accessing information needed to strengthen their instruction, research and extension
- To provide instruction and assistance in the effective use of learning resources / services
- Acquisition Section
- Technical Section
- Circulation Section (Membership Registration)
- Periodical section
- Reference Section
- Stack Area
- N-LIST Database
- Internet Browsing Centre
- WEB OPAC
- Xerox Unit
The main purpose of these rules is to safeguard the common interest of all users and to enable the Library to carry out its functions as efficiently as possible, failure to observe these rules which leads to cancellation of the membership. Handle the documents with great care as they are costly, precious in nature, is expected from users.
LIBRARY RULES & REGULATIONS
- The Students must carry their College Identity Card/library membership card with them at all time inside the Library. Show the Identity Card compulsory at the time of books check- out/check-in (whenever asked by the library staff)..
- All library users are required to maintain perfect silence and discipline in the library.
- The borrowing facility can be withdrawn or restricted in case of misbehavior of users for their misuse of the library.
- Library users should enter his/her name, course, semester time-in and time-out in register kept at the entrance.
- Library users are restricted to bring their personal belongings inside the Library such as bag, coat and umbrella.
- Books are issued for staff till semester end and for students period of a week (seven days) in the first instance and if required, the same book can be renewed further one more time for a period of a week each and thus no book will be allowed to be kept with a member beyond fifteen days.
- Library cards are not transferable: The borrower card holders should come personally to borrow the books and the authorization is not allowed.
- Loss of books/damaged: every borrower from the library is responsible for the safe custody and return of the book borrowed by him/her. In the event of damage or loss he/she shall replace the book or pay the cost of the book. The person has to pay the fine plus the cost of the books plus processing charges at the time of clearance from the library.
- Readers should not deface, mark, cut, mutilate or damage library resources in any way. If anyone is found doing so, he/she will be charged the full replacement cost of the resource. Books Borrowed should be protected from RAIN, FIRE, DUST, INSECT etc.
- Downloading of undesirable e-resources shall not be allowed and punishable if violated
- Strict discipline should be maintained in the library. The position of the chairs and tables should not be changed or displaced.
- Beverages and eatables are not allowed inside the library. Smoking is not permitted in the library. Mobile phones are strictly prohibited in the library.
- All persons may be allowed admission to the library provided that the Librarian may at his discretion refuse admission if he considers a person either of unsound mind, intoxicated or otherwise shabbily dressed. The decision of the Librarian or the next senior officer of the library in the absence of the Librarian shall be final in this matter.
- No reader is allowed to sleep in the library premises.
- The readers shall behave in a civilized manner. The Librarian may expel any person if he/she presence of such a person is liable to create law and order situation.
- The readers are liable for punishment and fine if they either misbehave or damage the books or any other property of the library, decent behavior is expected.
- Each prospective member shall give in writing an undertaking to abide by the rules of the library. He shall fill up a membership form.
- Each member shall be provided with a membership identity card and / or Borrower's card.
- In case any book is lost or injured by the member, the member shall replace the book or shall pay the cost of replacement. If a book is one of the volumes of a set, the reader may be asked to replace the whole set.
- Reference books, rare books, unbound periodicals and books of fine arts may not be issued generally except with the written permission of the Librarian.
- If a member does not pay off the library dues, the privilege of borrowing books may be suspended till he/she deposits the requisite amount.
- No visitor or guest is permitted to use the Library without the prior permission of the Librarian. He/She is required to produce a proper introduction letter from the concerned Institution/Organization thereafter who wishes to use the Library facility.
- No photograph of the Library shall be taken without the prior permission of the Librarian.
- The librarian shall have the power to refuse the issue of book to any member or he may recall any book without assigning any reason therefore.
- Student after returning of library books/documents should take No-dues certificate from the library before the examination.
- Staff should take library No-Dues Certificate (NOC) while Transfer/Deputation/Superannuation from the college. (While living the college, student and faculty should return books and library borrower’s card without fail, thereafter NOC will be issued).
Limitations of Books for Faculty and Students
- Students can borrow two books at a time.
- Full-time teaching faculty can borrow at a time 15 books, Full-time temporary teaching faculty can borrow at a time 10 books and Part-time temporary teaching faculty can borrow at a time 5 books.
- The library advisory committee may suggest the limitation of books to faculty and students on the basis of their library collection.
- Book Bank books can be issued as per Book Bank scheme norms/the availability of books. The discretionary powers are given to the librarian by the Library Advisory Committee.
Overdue and Loss of Books Charges (Fine & Penalty)
- A sum of “one rupee‟ will be collected per day per book beyond the stipulated overdue.
- The Library member should report immediately to the librarian about the loss of library documents borrowed from the library. The charges shall be recovered for the loss of library books as per the rules of The College Library Manual: A Guide for LIS Professionals, Department of Collegiate Education, and Government of Karnataka.
Library Working Hours
On Working Days:
The working hours of the library depends upon the necessity of the user community and also based on the availability of the library staff.
Usually the following working hours may be followed;
Generally, the college library shall remain open to the students and staffs.
Monday to Friday: 9:30AM to 5:00P
Saturday 10:00AM to 2:00PM
The college library timing may change depending on their college working hours and college infrastructure and availability of library supporting staff.
The library timings may be extended by the library advisory committee recommendation. It has been fixed for as many hours as possible for the readers to use the library on availability of sufficient staff and library infrastructure and facility.
The library will remain closed on General Holiday, National, Gazetted and Local holidays.
LIBRARY ADVISORY COMMITTEE: 2022-23
Library committee is generally appointed for improving the library services and
framing of policies in the library. It helps to provide high class library services and
advises the librarian on his area of responsibility and carries out inspections.
||Position in LAC
||Dr. Devika M.
||Dr. Swamy D.
||Librarian & HOD,
Department of Library
||Mrs. Suganthi S. Singh
||Associate Professor & HOD,
Department of Physics
||Dean, Department of
||Sri. R. A. Manjunath
||Assistant Professor & HOD,
Department of Microbiology
||Dr. Ananda G.
Department of Kannada
||Miss Sevanthi Mayuri A.
||B.Sc. Final Year (CBZ)
||Mr. Beeresh S.
||B.Com. Final Year
The library regularly performs the following activities:
- Awareness and Learning Program for Library Users
- Orientation Program for New Students
- National Librarian’s Day
- National Library Week
- Conducting Book Exhibition for Purchase of books